JCWI deals with all areas of asylum and immigration law. We have built up expertise over decades of fighting for justice for those who are vulnerable and have particular experience of dealing with complex immigration issues.
We represent clients at all stages of the legal process from entry clearance applications through to appeals and judicial review.
We are renowned for challenging Government policy or legislation where it is unjust or unlawful and specialise in this aspect of public law.
JCWI employs three solicitors who represent clients under our Legal Aid contract as well as representing those individuals who do not qualify for public funding, privately, at very competitive rates. Please refer to our fee structure below for full details of our charges.
We also run the following surgeries and helplines:
We offer an Immigration Drop –In Service on Tuesday mornings between 10am-12noon. We can only advise a maximum of 6 persons due to limited capacity. We allocate slots in the drop in to people who phone in advance to book their place on a “first come first served” basis. Please phone 020 7251 8708.
Should you attend the office without an appointment and a slot is not available for you to be seen that day you will be given an appointment for the next available slot.
We do not provide free advice, we cannot advise people who still have solicitors under legal aid, or those who have been for advice at the advice surgery at JCWI before. If you are eligible for legal aid, you will need to be assessed (for this you will need to bring in proof of means – income and rent). If you are not eligible for legal aid, there will be a charge of £75 for this initial interview (see charges below).
It is possible to arrange fixed-fee appointments with solicitors at other times. Please call the office and the receptionist will put you through to a caseworker if one is available. If a caseworker is not available you may be asked to call back or alternatively leave a message on their voicemail.
If you are in the UK without documentation and would like free and confidential legal advice,
please phone 020 7553 7470 between 10am and 1pm on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays.
FOREIGN NATIONAL PRISONERS
If you are in prison and need immigration advice please contact our free and confidential helpline on 020 7553 7468 every Wednesday between 10am-11am. You can also fax your enquiry to Fax: 020 7251 8707.
We run a specific helpline for UNISON members and provide free initial advice on all aspects of immigration law. The helpline runs on Tuesdays from 10am-3pm. Members should contact Unison in the first instance and ask them to contact us to arrange a phone call.
JCWI FEE STRUCTURE:
- Fee earner with 5yrs Post Qualification Experience £125.00 per hour (letters & phone calls charged at £12.50 each) All our solicitors fall under the above category.
- Initial Drop-In Interview & Advice (30 - 45 minutes) £75.00
- Entry Clearance Applications £750 per applicant
- Lodging applications with the Home Office £750 per applicant
- Preparation and representation of an Immigration Appeal (inclusive of counsel fees) £1750.00.
- Lodging a Judicial Review initial permission application £2500 it may also be possible to enter a conditional fee arrangement.*
- Adult Dependent Relative category visa applications: We offer a specialist one consultation for £125 to provide advice on the legal requirements, advice on merits of making this application and advice on alternative options. This is a one off consultation without commitment. Should you wish to instruct us to make the application on your behalf or to represent you at an appeal the consultation fee will be deducted from the full fee for the application or appeal.
*Judicial Review is a complex area with multiple steps and full fees and costs implications will be discussed in advance with clients.
These fees are exclusive of VAT and disbursements. The Fee Earner will assess how much work is required where a range has been given.